Teacher, family lose home in devastating blaze
Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:01 AM
A Greenwood County schoolteacher's family was burned out of its home on the cusp of the holiday season from a fire that raged for hours Tuesday.
A house sits in ruins following a fire at 301 Joe Wells Road on Tuesday morning. The blaze burned a family of five out of their residence.
The fire left the wood-frame modular house at 301 Joe Wells Road in ruins, with ashes smoldering behind the charred structure of the home long after firefighters departed from the scene late Tuesday afternoon.
Greenwood County School District 52 officials confirmed the family affected was Chad and Stephanie Corley, and their three children. Stephanie Corley is a teacher at Edgewood Middle School, and D52 set up a bank account and is accepting donations for the family.
Their residence sat on a multi-acre plot of land about a block south of an inland peninsula just off Lake Greenwood. Firefighters descended upon the blaze about 9 a.m. and encountered a fully involved house fire that had already caused the roof to cave into the home's interior. Fire crews from the Coronaca, Hodges-Cokesbury and Northwest volunteer fire departments were the initial stations to respond to the scene. They were subsequently joined by the Cross Hill and Lower Lake fire departments as well as several other stations in Greenwood County. Officials said nearly 20 firefighters joined in to extinguish the blaze at the height of their response. Crews remained at the scene for nearly four hours, departing about 1 p.m.
No one was injured in the fire as none of the residents were home at the time of the incident. Officials did indicate a small dog died as a result of the blaze.
Officials classified the damage as a total loss as the fire left little in its wake, burning the home completely to the ground. Coronaca VFD Capt. Chris Rooney said it was not clear exactly how or where the fire started, but officials did not suspect any foul play.
MORE IN TODAY'S INDEX-JOURNAL