I thought this would be a good week to share some of my favorite music trivia (with credit to Rolling Stone's "Rock Trivia" published in 2012). Feel free to keep score and play along at home. Let me know how you fare against family and friends. Good luck!
1. What was unusual about the session where Ray Charles recorded "I Got a Woman"?
(A) Charles played every instrument himself
(B) Elvis Presley watched the whole thing
(C) They couldn't start until Charles was bailed out of prison
(D) It was done at a radio station, where they were interrupted once an hour for a news update
2. What word did Duane Eddy use for his trademark guitar sound?
3. Which room in Graceland was used as a recording studio?
(A) The racquetball court
(B) The bathroom
(C) The "Jungle Room"
(D) The living room
4. Paul McCartney's sheepdog inspired the title of which Beatles song?
(A) Lovely Rita
(B) Martha My Dear
5. Who among the following didn't audition to be in the Monkees?
(A) Paul Williams
(B) Stephen Stills
(C) Charles Manson
(D) John Sebastian
6. Which History Channel show featured an appearance by Bob Dylan on a 2010 episode?
(A) American Pickers
(B) Pawn Stars
(C) How the States Got Their Shapes
(D) American Restoration
7. How did Patsy Cline die?
(A) Car crash
(B) Plane crash
8. What 1961 song is the shortest number one single of the rock era at 1:37?
(A) "Will You Love Me Tomorrow," the Shirelles
(B) "Stay," Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs
(C) "Pony Time," Chubby Checker
(D) "Mother-in-Law," Ernie K-Doe
9. How old was Stevie Wonder when he began his recording career at Motown?
10. The only member of ZZ Top without a beard is
(A) Billy Gibbons
(B) Dusty Hill
(C) Frank Beard
11. Name an early drummer for Steely Dan's Walter Becker and Donald Fagen?
(A) Max Weinberg
(B) Neil Peart
(C) Chevy Chase
(D) Bill Murray
12. Who had the mustache: Hall or Oates?
13. Which John Fogerty solo hit sounded so much like CCR, his former label sued him for plagiarizing himself?
(A) Rock and Roll Girls
(B) The Old Man Down the Road
(C) Zanz Kant Danz
14. You are a member of Toto, and you are traveling to Africa. What frightens you?
(A) The wild dogs crying in the night
(B) The sight of Mount Kilimanjaro
(C) The realization that love isn't always on time
(D) This thing that you've become
15. Which rap group's album was declared "obscene" by a federal judge?
(A) Public Enemy
(C) 2 Live Crew
(D) Naughty by Nature
16. In a 1996 episode of The Simpsons, Homer becomes a rock star at which fictional rock festival?
(B) Gathering of the Whiners
17. 98 Degrees' 1999 hit "I Do (Cherish You) was originally
(A) A country song
(B) Written by Prince
(C) A Fifties doo-wop song
(D) Rejected by the Backstreet Boys
18. Who didn't win American Idol?
(A) Kelly Clarkson
(B) Clay Aiken
(C) Carrie Underwood
(D) Kris Allen
19. Which band found its new singer on Youtube in 2007?
20. Which of the following was not a real file-sharing service?
Answers: 1:D, 2:C, 3:C, 4:B, 5:C, 6:B, 7:B, 8:B, 9:B, 10:C, 11:C, 12:B, 13:B, 14:D, 15:C, 16:C, 17:A, 18:B, 19:A, 20:D
Paul Crutcher is the broadcast specialist and XLR Radio general manager at Lander University. He serves on the national governing board for College Broadcasters Inc., the largest representation of college radio and television stations in the country. He can be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter at @PaulCrutcher.